Our Arts & Crafts Library has everything you need to make patriotic headbands to celebrate the 4th of July. We made our headbands with fireworks, stars and U-S-A using fuzzy sticks, felt sheets, pom-poms and sequins from the Arts & Crafts Library. Just start with a basic plastic headband and let your creativity do the rest!
- Plastic headbands
- Hot glue
1. To create fireworks, take a short red, blue, and silver metallic fuzzy stick and twist them over each other at their middle point.
2. Twist on additional fuzzy sticks to make a fuller firework. Repeat to create a second firework for your headband.
3. Twist two silver fuzzy sticks together to create a base for your fireworks. Wrap one end around the firework and the other end around the headband. Repeat with the second firework.
4. To create the USA headband, freehand cut letters from the red, white and blue felt sheets.
5. Glue small pieces of felt to the base of the letters to create tabs that will hold them upright on the headband.
6. Bend the tabs and secure to the headband with hot glue. You can add a bead of hot glue at the bend in the tab to help the letters stand up. Hold in place until the hot glue is set.
7. Add sparkly pom-poms to your headband for additional decoration.
8. You can also create a star headband by cutting star shapes from the felt sheets and gluing each of them to a fuzzy stick. Wrap the fuzzy sticks around the headband and decorate the sides of the headband with sequins.
Head outside and enjoy the fireworks on the 4th of July while sporting your new patriotic headbands!
Haeley Giambalvo is the founder of Design Improvised — a website focused on easy DIY projects that make a big impact. Haeley loves transforming simple materials like pom-poms and pipe cleaners into cool kids projects or festive holiday crafts. Her colorful projects are perfect for the busy mom who wants to spend 30 minutes crafting by herself or getting creative with her kids. Haeley lives in San Antonio, TX along with her husband and two daughters Stella, 9 and Hazel, 7.
Shop our Arts and Crafts Library here!