If there is one thing people have an abundance of around the holidays, it's cardboard boxes!
This project lets you recycle those materials and decorate at the same time. Plus, it's a great activity for kids without added holiday sugar.
- white paint pen or other markers
- scissors or sturdy craft knife
- hot glue gun (REMINDER: exercise precaution and supervise kids when using a hot glue gun)
1. Cut + assemble main cardboard pieces -- you can make any size houses that you like, but we found staying around a maximum of 4" X 4" worked best to scale with the craft kit's supplies.
We did a few smaller and a few taller, but figure out the shapes and sizes you like best.
Measure one side of the house using the ruler and pencil. Cut that out and trace the remaining three -- you'll need to have two with pointed tops to create the gable of the house. Cut them all out and use the hot glue gun to adhere together. Don't worry if they aren't completely flush with each other -- you can cover the seams up with decorations!
2. Cut + assemble roof -- this is best done after the main part of the house is assembled. Measure two equal pieces of cardboard and glue to the top of your house for the roof. You can have them fit flush or hang over the edges too. Switch it up!
3. Draw door and windows -- use the paint pen or markers to draw on a door, windows, roof shingles, and anything else you'd like.
4. Decorate! -- use all the great pieces in the Holiday Craft Kit to decorate the house using the glue gun. Make a Christmas Tree from a fuzzy stick. Sweeten up the roofline with candies. Create a wreath out of bells. There are endless options with this awesome kit!