Freezer paper stenciling is such a super fun way for kiddos to customize their clothing. While you can use any fabric paint to do so, our Textile Paint Spray is a much quicker way to color your clothes (love that instant gratification!) and makes far less mess. You can play around by painting both positive and negative shapes and make a truly unique piece of wearable art.
- white t-shirt with or without some graphics on it
- craft knife and cutting mat
- freezer paper
- iron (REMINDER: exercise precaution and supervise kids when using a hot iron)
1. Sketch stenciled images onto the matte side of the freezer paper with your pencil. You can trace a shape from somewhere else or freehand it.
2. Cut stencil out of paper. Use the craft knife to cut the stencil shapes out of the freezer paper. If you are creating negative space around an existing t-shirt graphic, like in the starburst shape shown here, you'll want to cut away the paper around the shape. If you are make a positive space of shape, such as the row of circles within the rectangle shown here, you'll want to remove the paper from inside the traced shape.
3. Iron shapes onto shirt. Place shapes with the shiny side down onto the shirt. Using your iron on its lowest setting, iron each shape onto the shirt until sealed down.
4. Spray paint! Lay the shirt flat and spray paint onto different areas of the shirt. If you want sharp lines around the stenciled shapes, hold the paint close to the shirt. For a more diffuse color, hold it farther away as you spray. Experiment with blending various colors and try a good overall spray of the gold paint to add overall sparkle.
5. Dry the shirt. Let the shirt air dry until the paint on the shirt is dry to the touch. If you've done a lot of paint, the stencils may take a little longer to dry. When the stencils are mostly dry, carefully peel them off of the shirt. Don't worry if some of the paint smudges or runs, it adds character! Run shirt through your dryer to fully set the paint.
* * *
Shop our Textile Spray Paint here!
* * *