A new school year often means a new backpack! This year instead of buying one at the store, make your own awesome backpack, Kid Made Modern style! Just start with a basic white backpack and decorate it with textile spray paint, jewels, and patches for a one-of-a-kind look.
- Letter stencils
- Basic white backpack
1. Head outside and spray paint your backpack on a protected surface such as a painter’s dropcloth. We used the pink, red, and blue paints from the Textile Spray Paint pack for this backpack. Let dry completely.
2. Create a pretty dangler to hang from your backpack zipper by stringing together beads from the Jewelry Jam Craft Kit.
3. You can personalize your backpack by adding initials with a little simple sewing. Just trace letters onto a backpack using a letter stencil and pencil. Then use the colored thread from the Jewelry Jam Craft Kit to outline the letters with a basic running stitch.
4. Accessorize your backpack with a few Galactic Iron-On Patches. We added our patches with hot glue instead of ironing them onto the polyester backpack.
5. Load up your awesome new backpack with school supplies for the first day of school!
* * *
* * *
Post written by Haeley Giambalvo of Design Improvised, a website focused on easy DIY projects that make a big impact. Haeley loves transforming simple materials like pom-poms and pipe cleaners into cool kids projects or festive holiday crafts. Her colorful projects are perfect for the busy mom who wants to spend 30 minutes crafting by herself or getting creative with her kids. Haeley lives in San Antonio, TX along with her husband and two daughters Stella, 9, and Hazel, 7.