No matter what a particular kid is interested in, they all have a tendency to build up "collections" of things. And those things have a way of spreading out all over the place! But our Duct Tape Catch-All Tray with help kiddos make a container flexible enough to hold whatever they're collecting. And they can double as a display case if the collection is museum worthy (aren't they all?!). Get all the details below!
- 8.5 X 11" piece of sturdy cardstock
- Sturdy placemat
- Craft knife or scissors
1. Cover bottom of tray -- cut a strip of duct tape slightly longer than 11". Line it up with the top edge of the cardstock and stick across. Repeat with additional strips of duct tape until entire piece of cardstock is covered. Then trim pieces of duct tape hanging over the edges of the cardstock.
2. Cover sides of tray -- turn cardstock over. Cut a strip of duct tape slightly longer than 11". Line it up with the top edge of the cardstock and stick across. Turn cardstock 90 degrees. Cut a strip of duct tape slightly longer than 8.5". Line it up with the side edge of the cardstock and stick across. Repeat with remaining two edges of cardstock. Trim all pieces of duct tape hanging over the edges of the cardstock.
3. Score sides of tray -- place cardstock with white center facing up. Fold one side of the paper up, following the edge duct tape as a guide, and score the fold. Repeat for remaining three sides of the tray.
4. Fold corners of tray -- with the cardstock laying vertically, fold bottom edge up and then fold right corner of the cardstock in. Holding the folded corner with one hand, use your other hand to fold up the right, long side of the cardstock up. Cut a strip of duct tape and secure the corner fold by taping from the inside of the tray where the tape meets the white center, over the top of the tray edge, and down to the bottom. Trim any duct tape tails. Repeat for reminding three corners. You should now have a complete tray shape.
5. Reinforce corners of tray -- cut a piece of duct tape and cover the seam of each corner, reinforcing the fold. Gently shape your tray into a rectangle, pinching and creasing each corner as necessary.
* * *
Shop our Duct Tape Kit Set here!
* * *