Get your indoor garden on with these easy-to-make recycled planters! All you need is an empty plastic bottle, some paint and your Arts and Crafts Library! Get the full tutorial below.
-Empty plastic bottle
-White acrylic paint
-Green washable paints
-Hot glue gun (*always ask an adult for help using a hot glue gun!)
1. Use scissors to cut the top off of your plastic bottle (ask an adult for help with this step!). Wash and rinse out the bottle with soap. Allow it to dry completely!
2. Use sandpaper to gently smooth the cut edge of your bottle. Rub sandpaper around the outside of the bottle. This will help the paint stick to the plastic! Wipe with a damp cloth and allow to dry completely.
3. Paint the outside of your plastic bottle with white acrylic paint. Let the paint dry. This layer of paint will help your colored paint stick to the bottle and will make your colors brighter!
4. Use green washable paints to paint the bottles.
5. While your paint dries, use your felt, pipe cleaners and pom poms to create some decorations for your cactuses! We used felt to cut out cactus arms and bent the pipe cleaners into different flower shapes.
6. When your paint has dried, glue your decorations onto the bottles using hot glue! You can also use a permanent marker to draw on some cactus spikes. There are so many different types of cactuses - what kind will you create!?
Add a little STEAM
We chose to plant succulents in our planters so that they would match the cactuses we created! You can plant any indoor plant you would like in yours. Follow the planting instructions for your specific plant - you could even ask an adult to help you do a little research on the computer!
You can take your planters outside to plant in them, but afterwards they should be kept indoors. Make sure to keep your planters somewhere where they will receive plenty of light and water them when they need it.
Shop Our Arts and Crafts Library Here!