Twist and Turn Pipe Cleaner Forest
In collaboration with Handmade Charlotte.
What You Need:
- Popsicle sticks
- Hot glue gun
- Pom poms
- Wooden beads
- Wooden skewers
- Pipe cleaners (in lots of colors)
1. Begin by twisting pipe cleaners around a wooden skewer. They don’t need to be exactly centered or perfect yet – we’ll be trimming them later.
2. When twisting, try to keep the pipe cleaner tight on the wooden skewer so that it wiggles and slides as little as possible. You want the pipe cleaners to sit about ½” apart.
3. When you’re done, you should have something like this: it almost looks like a tree, but it needs a little haircut.
4. Use scissors to trim the pipe cleaners into a triangle shape.
5. Pop a mini pom pom on top to be the star!
6. To make the more 3D bottlebrush style tree, do the same as before but use more pipe cleaners and twist them right next to each other so they’re tightly packed onto the skewer.
7. Trim into a triangle again.
8. Fluff the pipe cleaners out in all directions to give the tree some shape, and trim as needed.
9. For the base, cut a popsicle stick in half and glue those two halves on either side of a whole popsicle stick, forming a plus sign. Then hot glue a wooden bead onto the middle and glue the end of the skewer into the bead, holding straight until dry.
* * *
* * *
Kid Made Modern is on a mission to create the next generation of creative thinkers. Learn more.