It's often the little, unexpected details that make the biggest impact. The small things that help show someone that they are special. And these DIY Petal Party Drink Stirrers are just that. Simple but festive, they'll brighten up any party or just your breakfast!
These are equally cute in a drink or decorating a cake—just make sure that the only part of the skewers that touches food is the bamboo skewer as the kit's beads are not food grade.
P.S. to make this easy party drink, scoop colorful sorbet into a tall glass and add ginger ale. Top with a few mint leaves and fresh fruit.
- 12" bamboo skewers (you can find these at your grocery store)
- hot glue gun (REMINDER: exercise precaution and supervise kids when using a hot glue gun)
- ruler or 4" piece of cardboard
1. Design layout of beads -- the larger flower beads have a larger diameter hole than other beads in the kit. Coincidentally, they also look best with smaller beads stacked on top of them. So we suggest picking one larger petal to start. Slide that on to the pointed end of a bamboo skewer and hold in place with your fingers. Play around with adding various other beads on top.
2. Glue flower beads onto stirrer -- once you have an arrangement you like, turn the skewer upside down, using your thumb to hold the beads on it. Place a small dab of hot glue at the base of the largest and first flower bead and gently press the bead onto the glue. (Have an adult help with the hot glue gun!) Once dry, turn your skewer back upright. Remove the last bead and place another small dab of glue onto the skewer top. Slide the small bead back on and over the hot glue until it meets the other beads.
3. Add leaves and stem color -- if you'd like to add leaves to your flowers, dab a small bit of hot glue under the largest flower and press leaf beads onto glue. To add stem color, cut a small length of green cord. Dab a bit of hot glue under the largest flower and press one end of the cord to glue. Wind the cord down the skewer until you reach the desired distance. Secure end of cord with another bit of hot glue.
4. Trim skewer ends -- once the beads have dries, snip off any point of the wooden skewer that sticks out the top. Cut bottom of stirrer to desired length.
1. Make tassel -- pick a color of cord from the kit to make a tassel. You can follow our directions to make a tassel found here or in the kit's directions.
2. Add beads to tassel -- slide any arrangement of beads you like onto the cord's top strands.
3. Glue bead to top of skewer + tie on tassel -- pick a small diameter bead and glue it onto the top point of the skewer. Tie the tassel onto the skewer just under the bead, securing with a small dab of hot glue as necessary. Wind the tail ends of the tassel cord you tied onto the skewer down the length of the skewer. Secure end of cord with another bit of hot glue.
4. Trim skewer end -- once everything has dried, snip off any point of the wooden skewer that sticks out the top. Cut bottom of stirrer to desired length.
* * *
Shop our Petal Party Jewelry Kit here!
* * *